Health Coverage Initiatives Program
On March 23, 2010 President Barack Obama signed into law the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also known as the ACA or “Obamacare.” One of the most notable components of the law is the expansion of affordable health coverage nationwide to over 32 million individuals beginning in January 2014. This will be accomplished in a number of ways:
- The expansion of Medicaid (in California, known as Medi-Cal) benefits to low income adults who were previously ineligible, primarily childless adults with incomes less than 138% FPL (approximately $15,856/annually for an individual).
- The creation of State Health Benefit Exchanges, that will serve as a market place for health care coverage, and offer subsidized premiums for individuals with incomes from 139-400% FPL. In California, this market place is called “Covered California.”
- The implementation of an easy to navigate enrollment system that will include a user portal, tools to compare different plans, eligibility and enrollment assistance, and an interface with Medi-Cal eligibility and other public benefit enrollment systems.
These provisions are providing an opportunity for previously uninsured individuals to obtain health care coverage and enroll into medical homes. One the biggest challenges is to educate individuals about the new coverage options, including eligibility requirements and enrollment procedures.
The Health Coverage Initiatives Program’s goal is to assist patients in our member community health organizations and other individuals to enroll in health coverage programs. Individuals and families seeking assistance can call Community Health Partnership's Health Coverage help line: (408) 579-6026 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Health Partnership (CHP) and participating member health centers and clinics in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties are Covered California Enrollment Entities (CEEs). As Certified Enrollment Entities, we are actively helping patients and the community learn, navigate, and apply for Covered CA health insurance plans and Medi-Cal through one-on-one in-person enrollment assistance.
Our current activities also include:
- Provide information and referrals for families with children under age 19, to the Healthy Families (now Medi-Cal) and/or Healthy Kids Programs.
- Provide technical assistance and training to member community health center staff, community based organizations, and other groups regarding eligibility criteria for Covered California, Medi-Cal and other health coverage programs.
- Provide information and application assistance for Covered CA and Medi-Cal.
- For more information on Covered CA and Medi-Cal, including important deadlines and how to obtain enrollment assistance, please visit our Covered CA & Medi-Cal Enrollment Assistance page.
Links to Health Coverage Programs and Resources
- Covered California
- Healthy Families (Now Medi-Cal)
- Healthy Kids
Other Helpful Telephone Numbers
- Bay Area Legal Aid Health Consumer Center: 1-855-693-7285
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Program: 1-800-824-0088
- Cancer Detection Program; Every Woman Counts: 1-800-511-2300
- Community Health Clinic Referrals: 1-408-556-6605
- County of Santa Clara, Social Services Agency: 1-408-758-3800
- County of San Mateo, Human Services Agency: 1-800-223-8383
- Covered California: 1-800-300-1506
- Family Planning Access, Care and Treatment (FPACT): 1-800-942-1054
- Patient Access- Valley Care Help Line: 1-408-885-7701
- Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network: 1-408-453-3003
- Social Service Benefits Service Center: 1 -877-962-3633
- Valley Connection: 1-888-334-1000